Qualitative Market Research Consulting
Mindy Rudick Powell: Founder and President – Profile of a Top-tier Focus Group Moderator
In his latest book, Outliers, best-selling author Malcolm Gladwell offers this rule of thumb: 10,000 hours of practice to achieve true mastery on an elite level. It also takes innate intelligence and some lucky breaks, he adds, to achieve real success.
A qualitative research consultant and focus group moderator for more than 20 years, Mindy Rudick Powell personifies this level of accomplishment. Using her knowledge and native talent, she has conducted many thousands of focus groups. Having started her career prior to the availability of formal moderator training, Mindy had the good fortune of being mentored by highly-respected researchers and working with marketing experts including futurist Faith Popcorn.
Mindy has two primary tenets at the core of her firm’s success:
- Focus groups capable of yielding actionable insights are as much art as science.
Mindy’s education and experience in clinical psychology and group dynamics gives her a keen awareness of consumer emotions related to products, brands and advertising. She employs the scientific methodologies, analytical and interpretive skills required in the practice of qualitative research. Mindy then incorporates imagination and creativity in the projective techniques she uses to uncover what are less than conscious beliefs, attitudes and behaviors.
- Build a connection with the group and a partnership with the back room.
Her friendly and open personality quickly connects with consumers of all genders, ages, races and cultures. And her ability to listen on a deep level lets her tune in to emotional cues and inconsistencies that can get lost in less skilled hands. These same qualities help form the basis of solid communications with clients that assure a clear understanding of objectives, flexibility in the moment without losing focus, and meaningful deliverables.
Since 1995, Mindy has also served as Research Director for the Center for Emotional Marketing, a marketing consultancy specializing in brand and product positioning for Fortune 100 companies via its Precise Positioning® service. Mindy is the exclusive provider for the firm’s qualitative research projects. She leverages her ability to probe for and uncover meaningful consumer insights through the Center for Emotional Marketing’s proprietary Triggers® process, which utilizes highly creative consumers.
Mindy Powell contributes to the next generation of focus group moderators through her firm’s training programs.
- Vice President, The Gene Reilly Group – Qualitative Research Consultant
- Qualitative Division Manager, Trost Associates – Moderator, Facilities Manager, Field Director
- Trained in Synectics – Creative group problem-solving techniques
- Bachelors Degree, Hofstra University, Long Island, New York
- Master of Social Work Degree, New York University, New York, NY
Liz Hayes: Research Manager and Field Director – Enabling Responsive Client Service
Liz Hayes joined Rudick Research in 1999 and rounds out the client service team. Liz has specific skills that enhance her role handling all field management services, facilitating quick response to client needs and contributing to project analysis and documentation.
She is detail-oriented and client-focused, a keen observer and an excellent writer with skills honed as a former journalist. She also has a broad cultural perspective developed earlier in her career in the nonprofit global marketing arena.
Liz serves as liaison among the client, moderator and facility. She oversees screener development and the Rudick Research Bi-level Screening process. She also manages the recruitment of respondents to ensure qualified candidates that match the client’s project objectives. Her location in Norwalk, Connecticut provides the firm’s New York metro base of operations where she also attends group sessions. Liz’s back room presence enables her to best meet client needs, and through first hand observation, obtain a richer understanding of findings for report writing.
- Professional writing and editing experience as a news journalist
- 12 years in Global Marketing arena, nonprofit sector, for Save the Children
- Traveled to 25 countries as a trainer, assessing field office organizational needs
- Taught management skills to local staff in third world nations
- Bachelors of Arts Degree, University of Connecticut at Storrs
- Major in Journalism and Sociology, Cum Laude Graduate